Sunday, November 22, 2009

A New Roof & Many Changes

Well, roof repairs are complete and I have to say that we are so glad there were no surprises. Scott, "Jack the Carpenter" and I all held our breath as the tin and sheathing came off to expose the rafters.  We didn't know what to expect, but in reality, expected the worst.  When you expect the worst, not too bad seems like a gift.  Only 3 rafters were beyond repair.  In spite of this, we replaced every single one because we went from 2x6's to 2x8's.  But now we have about 9 - 2x6 rafters all ready for a new project and one is bound to show up sooner or later. The kitchen from the inside looking up at the sky with Jack balancing on the rafters:



I pretty much removed everything from the open shelves in the kitchen, but it was still a huge mess.  I covered the big Hobart mixer with a sheet; but in spite of the guys sweeping and shop vacuuming the ceiling from above, when they removed the ceiling inside it rained leaves and dirt everywhere.


It is great to have the roof fixed!  We had 3 1/2 inches of rain the other night and we didn't put out one bucket and woke up to a completely dry floor in the kitchen.  We still have to insulate and put up the new beadboard ceiling (it is painted a lovely, pale yellow) and we have decided to paint the whole kitchen an off white.  But all that will have to wait until December as the remainder of November will be spent cooking for our annual Thanksgiving gig out in Camp Verde.  Fifty-five folks on Thanksgiving Day and varying numbers on the days before and after.  The first group arrives Wednesday and the last leave on Sunday.  It is like a family reunion for me though none are MY family.  But over the years they have become as precious to me as my own.  I feel blessed to know these fine people and I enjoy feeding them all! 

On a different note, I finally started my new website, http://www.theteachingkitchen.com/
After having 2 blogs over the past 2 years (this one and http://www.27daysinitaly.blogspot.com/ ), I thought I knew how to make a website work.  I figured (erroneously as it turns out) that the template would be much the same as it is here.  Boy, was I wrong!  Over the course of 4 evenings, I started the entire site over 8 or 10 times.  Tech support got many e-mails from me, but for the most part it is now up and working.  The home page has a link to my blog here, but you have to chase the blog link around the page...it's pretty funny and I don't know how to fix it, so I am leaving it as is...just a quirky little addition to, what seems to me at this point, an overly serious website.  I need to work on that...
So if you want to learn how to make yogurt at home, that is the first tutorial, complete with step by step photos and a few great recipes for the yogurt you make.
After Thanksgiving the second tutorial will go up- Making Pesto and then I'll post one on how to make a great pasta dish I learned in Italy.  It has become my go-to recipe for special dinners.  Here is the finished dish:

I took a hog butchering class in Austin with Jesse Griffiths of Dai Due fame.  It was fascinating and I am all excited about making some sausage in December.  I will write a post here about it, complete with pictures, as soon as Thanksgiving week is over.  Have a great Thanksgiving and remember to count your blessings.
We all have so much to be grateful for!

No comments: