Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Funny Remembrance

As I was driving home from the Farmers Market today I began thinking about Martin Luther King.  Today is the anniversary of his, "I Have a Dream" speech, which he gave in 1963. I remembered driving through Austin with Marta, back in...ohh, maybe 1990 or so, meaning she was about 3 or 4 years old.  It was Martin Luther King Day-which is celebrated the third Monday of January-and there was a big march in Austin.  Traffic was held up for awhile as the "parade" crossed the thoroughfare and Marta asked me why.  I told her about MLK, who he was and what he did, and she was actually pretty interested.  In fact, she was real quiet the remainder of the trip...I could see her thinking.  About an hour later, she piped up, "Hey Mom, I want to change my name."  "Really?" I replied. "To what?"  She cocked her head to one side, took a deep breath and proclaimed, "Marta Luther King".  What a kid!
Marta at about 3 years old.

No comments: